Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strangerswithcandy

Annuals for hanging baskets in shade?

strangerswithcandy
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have six hanging baskets hanging around my outdoor roofed patio that I need planted with a mix of bushy and cascading/trailing/hanging annuals.

Although the patio is on the west side of the house, these six baskets get no direct sun at ALL throughout the day, due to the overhead rooflike structure covering the patio. I would classify the shade as "bright shade, but no direct sun at all."

What kinds of flowers would bloom well in these conditions? I'm thinking pelargoniums are out. What about tuberous begonias? Impatiens? Torenia?

As far as something cascading/vining - fuchsias maybe? I hate variegated vinca major, so that's out. English ivy perhaps?

I need suggestions! Please advise!!

gracias,

Victor aka StrangersWithCandy

Comments (3)

• entling
    17 years ago

There are some great begonias that would do well in a hanging basket, and I used to do the trailing type of fuschia. Another nice trailer is the annual Lobelia. And don't foget that shade garden standby, Impatiens. The New Guinea ones are big and have beautiful foliage. They would look good as the main upright plant, with the dark blue Lobelia as the trailer.

• ImaHockeyMom
    17 years ago

I've had excellent luck with torenia and impatiens.

• shadeyplace
    17 years ago

Don't forget some perennials that would cascade like lysimachia nummularia and lamium...Begonias are great and Helichrysum, and the potatoe vine does not need full sun either. You could have Heucheras (different colors) and Hostas. bacopa does not ned full sun either but needs moisture. the new hybrid shell impatiens are great.

Sponsored