Helianthus decapetalus
Goodyera pubescens
Clematis integrifolia
Selaginella braunii
Pimpinella major "rosea"
Plantago major "variegate"
Patrinia scabiosifolia
Campanula trachelium

Has anyone grown them? How do they behave? Do you think dappled light, zone 6/7, somewhat ammended clay soil would work for them or not? Can any of them be easily started from seed? I've been playing with plant books again, no one I know has grown these, and I'm always looking for practical, hands on advice. So if you've killed any of them (or gotten them to flourish) -- please let me know.

Thank you
Springcherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants I'm curious about

Mitchella repens (partridge berry) and Goodyera pubescens (rattlesnake plantain) - I grow both of these. I have not grown them from seed, but as rescued mature plants. I think the conditions you describe would be fine, that's pretty much what I've got. I even got a few flowers and berries on the mitchella last year. Both are evergreen for me in zone 7a.

o

Helianthus and patrinia need sun. The clematis (not a vining form) would prefer at least 4 hours, ditto the lathyrus. The rest will be fine in part shade. I don't do seeds, so no advice on that aspect.

o

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping that this particular helianthus was more shade tolerant, since it is described as liking the area where meadow meets woods. As for the patrinia, sigh, I should have guessed anything so wonderfully yellow might want lots of sun.

I do have an area with 4-5 hours of miday sun, so I hope in time to do the clematis and lathyrus(if and when I can get the money together.) As for the partidge berry and plantain ... I am looking forward to planting them as well, thou under the same monetary restrictions.

The leaves of the rattlesnake plantain look really neat.

Springcherry

o

Springcherry, Patrinia grows just fine for me in 4-5 hours of midday sun. Here's a picture of it growing with Hydrangea 'Lemon Wave' and Alstromeria 'Sweet Laura'. I also have Helenium 'Mardi Gras' planted here-another plant that prefers full sun.

Sue

o

• Posted by Suenh cold end of 4! (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 25, 05 at 14:47

Patrinia is a dangerous one to have around if you like daylilies. Daylily rust doesn't winter over much north of VA but Patrinia will act as a cold weather host and allow it to survive. The rust will slowly weaken the daylilies and make them look terrible

o

If the patrinia and day lillies were in different beds -- would that be alright?

VTSKIERS -- Wow, thank you, beautiful combo.

Springcherry

o

• Posted by Suenh cold end of 4! (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 8:43

The daylily rust is wind born. So the answer is no. It isn't safe for miles.

o

Well-- better to know now than to find out the hard way.

Thank you so much
Springcherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here