Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fasare

hemlocks okay for shady hedge

fasare
18 years ago

I am considering these types of evergreen hedge for a shady perimeter of my property. The descriptions I have read so far suggest it will grow fine in shade. Is this true and what is the average height I can expect it to grow to. The types in consideration are:

1. Canadian Hemlock and

2. Jumbo Hemlock and

3. Hardy Amur privet.

I know very little about these candidates especially growth rate under ideal conditions; I would appreciate anything anyone can share. Thanks much.

Comments (3)

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Personally, I'd stick to something like Rhododendrons which will actually form a nice hedge within your lifetime. I have several Canadian hemlock which do very well in quite dense shade and half shade, but after over 30 years, they are about 15 feet tall, and at 10 foot spacing barely touch.

As for privet, I hate it with a passion I generally reserve for deer and other destructive varmits. Reseeds everywhere, and maintainance and dead wood removal gets to be a problem in a few years.

George

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

You should be aware that the wooly adelgid is attacking and killing hemlocks all up and down the east coast.

• waplummer
    18 years ago

Forty years ago I planted a row of hemlocks in a shady spot. Over the years they have become more difficult to trim to control their size. Also the lower branches have died despite my efforts. This past fall, I remove all buth the two on either end of the row and replaced them with Rhododendrons. That and the wooly algedid would argue against hemlock. i also hate privet and would suggest Rhodies.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner