Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny new shade bed

Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 15:38

I am going to try to plant some shade plants in a little bed here. We have somewhat acidic clay soil.
I have seeds in WS jugs that might work, I think -- toad lily, columbine, astilbe.
I am also thinking of buying a fern and a bleeding heart for it. If they do well I might make the bed wider later.
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions/advice?

New North facing bed
(click to see bigger image)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny new shade bed

Your choices and ideas are good ones.
Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Shade Gardening

o

Bleeding heart can get REALLY BIG in a short period of time (depending on cultivar), so plan accordingly.

If you want super-easy, you can't go wrong with hosta plants. If you want to keep things small, get a mini or dwarf hosta, or you'll be dividing every year or two. (Wish someone had given me THAT advice when I first got started with my hosta garden... I started out with too many plants too close together, and the second year my hosta bed looked like a jungle! I divided things up and was able to supply half the neighborhood with hosta divisions! LOL)

I started rimming my hosta garden with impatiens, and I really like the contrast of the bright colored border in front of my mini-jungle.

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 14:19

Stranger, thanks for the link.
Imahockeymom, I didn't realize that bleeding hearts get big. I have one dicentra spectabilis tuber from I potted for now; it hasn't done anything yet -- I hope it survives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here