Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanie137

Help! Newbie question: plant for entrance

jeanie137
18 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to gardening, so please bear with my question. I am trying to brighten up our front entrance, which is under an overhang, by putting some container plants there. The spot faces south, so it receives about 4-5 hours of sun in the winter, and at most 1 hour of sun in the summer. Does this qualify as full shade or part shade? Or does the definition depend on the season? The plants I'm considering are camellia shrub, azalea, and hydrangea. Will these plants thrive? Do I need to move them around as the season changes? Any other suggestions? Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

• janetr
    18 years ago

That's pretty well full shade in the summer and part shade in the winter, although a very sunny part shade.

I'm not going to risk giving you any advice on what would thrive there. I live in Canada and know very little about gardening in your kind of climate. However, as a general rule, plants that prefer full sun would not be too happy there, although some of these will tolerate shady conditions, particularly as they'll get quite a bit of sun in the winter. As to whether you will have to move the plants seasonally, that will depend on your choice of plants and how picky they are about their conditions. Perhaps asking in the California forum will get you some more specific advice on plant choices.

• jeanie137
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jane, Thanks for your comments. Hmm I'd better pick some very robust plants.