Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air conditioner next to patio

Posted by sunnny East TX (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 16:05

Hello, I'd love some suggestions as to what I can do to help hide and decrease the noise from my AC unit. It's 2 feet from my covered back porch. We love to eat on the porch and it's an extended living area for us but when the AC is running it's annoying and although not really noisy it's more difficult to hear and carry on a conversion.
The area between the unit and the porch is full shade with good light. I've thought of putting a trellis with a shade vine at the porch edge which would allow for easy access to the unit and still allow good air flow. Would that help decrease the noice at all?? Any ideas as to what would grow (I LOVE flowering anything) or is there a better alternative?
If anyone has pics I'd LOVE to see what you've done in your shade AC area!
Thank You SOOOO much,
Sunny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air conditioner next to patio

A trellis w/vine at the edge of the porch would shield the A/C unit from view, but would do little in the way of noise abatement.
I presume you only use the area when outdoor temperatures are comfortable. If so, why not turn the A/C off during that time? If your home is reasonably well insulated, the indoor temperature should only rise a few degrees. Since conditioned air is lower in humidity, it will still feel cooler inside, when you return.
Seems that you had an A/C installer like the one I started with, and dismissed!
Rb

o

While this won't 'shade' you from the noise, it might help.

I assume you are not out on the porch for long periods like 4 hrs straight, but rather an hour or so in the eveningtime.

When you want the quietness, turn the thermostat down about 5 degrees and turn the fan blower to the 'on' position. This should recirculate some cooler air and it should take awhile before the house temp and humidity rise to an uncomfortable level. Of course if you are way down south this may not apply but it could work in the northern climes.

o

Sunny - I can't help you with the noise abatement, but if you want a good evergreen vine for shade in our Texas climate, you might check out Star Jasmine, Crossvine or Coral Honeysuckle. Good Luck!

o

I realize this is an old post.. but a word of warning here... trust me.. do not block the air flow around your ac unit.. been there done that.. cost a new compressor...

o

Trellis with a shade vine might help a bit to insulate from the noise. See, any opening will let some of the sound in.

Better, you could use sound proof curtains for the patio, if you would use them all around the porch.

You may want to check the site I will write in. The soundproof curtains or soundproof blankets won't remove all the noise, but they can make the AC noise bearable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soundproof Curtains

o

A fountain on the patio will also mask the AC noise. I have a very simple Zen-like one and it is wonderful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here