Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

What can I plant in this shady corner? (pic)

gardenbug
14 years ago

My trellis fence meets with the cedar hedge at the corner of my small backyard. There is about a 2ft. of open space where I can see into my neighbors yard so I'm trying to close it in. I want to plant something tall, with light colored flowers. It is a shady corner. Does anyone have any ideas? I've posted a pic to give you an idea. Maybe I can grow something in the clay pot? Thank you all for your help.

{{gwi:1252259}}

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It doesn't look all that shady from the photo :-) You could try hydrangea or clethra in the container. Both are happy in at least partial shade and come in white or pale colored forms.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi gardengal,
    Yes, that corner gets shady because of the cedars. I already have a hydrangea in the backyard so I really don't want another one. I looked up clethra and it's very pretty. I like the white flowers. I have always wanted a camelia. Would a camilia grow in that pot in the corner? Just a thought. Thanks gardengal, and I love all your ideas.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I posted this twice. duh!
    gardengal~ You said camelia would only work for awhile.

Any other ideas? please?

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Unless you keep it well trimmed back, the cedar hedge will soon fill that narrow space. Why not plant something in your pot to climb on your trellis/partition? or have an obelisk in your planter for something to climb up? You could start with an annual vine to see if you liked the idea before switching to a perennial. If you decide on a perennial, I try to get a larger pot that you could just leave out for the winter (not clay as it will crack).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Cadence, the camellia would for work only for awhile simply because it will soon outgrow the container :-) The other two shrubs suggested are smaller and more suited to container culture long term.

Daphne would be another thought. Daphnes are very amenable to containers - they like that sharp drainage containers offer and they are smaller sized shrubs. One of the summer blooming ones like D. x transatlantica 'Summer Ice' would give you pale flowers over a long season and amazing fragrance to boot!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ontnative ~ Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I'm planning to let that part of the cedar grow out to the fence to close it off. I still want to place something in the corner. I will be growing New Dawn climbing rose on the trellis. I really like your idea of the obelisk. I've never had one before. Also, thank you for reminding me about the clay pot cracking. I guess I'll have to purchase another pot.

Gardengal~ Thanks for explaining about the camelia. I love the Daphne! Oh so pretty. Would it be okay in my shady corner? I really like the delicate, fragrant light colored flowers. It would pretty against the cedars. I will look for it at the nursery.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I can hardly wait to get planting.

Sponsored