Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herp35

Shade Garden

herp35
16 years ago

I have a kidney shaped bed in my front yard that needs some rennovation. I was going to put coleus, African Impatients, and two ostrich Ferns in the front part of the bed. Maybe some Bleeding hearts or Dragon Arum? Any suggestions or tips?

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Ostrich ferns don't do as well in the Atlanta area (too hot). Try something like Lady Fern, Autumn Fern or East Indian Holly Fern (the last two are evergreen). Epimediums are a popular choice these days for shade gardening. Keep in mind that Bleeding heart usually goes dormant when it gets hot, so plan so that you have other things there (or add more annuals at that time). If you want a little height, consider Black Cohosh or Goatsbeard (Astilbe is similar).

• wood_fern
    15 years ago

IÂm in the same situationÂupdating a north side entry way always in shade. While looking for ideas, found an 8-page article on color for shade in current issue of Garden Ideas magazine (Spring 08). Shows and describes many brightly colored shade plants, colors available, growing conditions, appropriate zones, etc. Especially like the many colors of astilbes.

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

I would suggest you pick a fern that does not wander. Ostrich ferns will take over your bed in a few years. Lady,Christmas, autumn would be better choices, but the suggestions about getting a good one for your area are most important, money saving ideas.

• herp35
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What ferns are native to GA? Would a dragon arum or other aroid do well. (I love aroids!!)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Ferns that are native to Georgia:

Christmas fern
    Ebony Spleenwort
    Lady fern
    Cinnamon fern
    Royal fern
    Netted chain fern
    Sensitive fern
    Broad beech fern
    Resurrection fern
    Rockcap fern
    New York fern
    Northern maidenhair fern
    Southern maidenhair fern
    Hayscented fern
    Bracken fern
    Marginal fern
    Thelypteris kunthii (the common names are too confusing)
    and many more

I'd recommend you get a copy of "Field Guide to the Ferns and Other Pteridophytes of Georgia" by Snyder and Bruce.

I don't know about Dragon Arums. Are they related to Jack in the Pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum)?

• herp35
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes and no, The dragon arum is an aroid but not arisaema. I don't know the requirements of the jack-in-the-pulpits but I would love to have some. Does anyone know a good place to get aroids?

• hdladyblu_2007
    15 years ago

hostas,solomon's seals,heucheras

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I don't know about locally, but I think Plant Delights (mail order) has a good selection of aroids. Just put the word "aroid" in their search box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights

• cookie8
    15 years ago

I have a bleeding heart that blooms all summer. Sorry, don't know the name of it.