Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colleenrk_gw

Any plants for a full shade, shallow soil site?

colleenrk
11 years ago

Hi!

I couldn't find any recommendations for any plant (seriously, anything, including ground cover) for a full shade site that has shallow soil. Shallow soil? Well, the backyard has three 'raised beds' made of concrete. They are about a foot high, and three feet wide, and run the length of the yard. The one side that is giving me trouble has three significant plantings already, from left to right: a giant maple, a rose of sharon and a random shrub that's about 8' high. There is also our neighbor's garage that runs in between the rose of sharon and the shrub for about 10', hence the full shade. The roots of...something, are very close to the surface, and I am reluctant to dig deeply for fear of disturbing the roots. Any ideas? Or, if nothing can grow, what could I do with this space?

Thank you!

This post was edited by colleenrk on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 17:56

Comments (13)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

If the maple roots are in there, you may be in for a tough fight. Maple roots will seek out (or, in this case, up) and into any nice rich soil they find.

Perhaps a large decorative stone or three?

Do you have any pix of the area?

tj

• SaraElise
    11 years ago

If you aren't in a dry climate, ferns would probably work.

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

lily of the valley, spiderwort. you may need to plant them in bottom open containers to keep roots out

• freki
    11 years ago

periwinkle (vinca minor) will grow there. Their roots are very shallow & they'll tolerate just about any soil that's not too compact. Loosen the top inch, or throw a half inch of garden soil on top to get them started.

They like to send runners out to conquer new territory. Fortunately they are shallow rooted & can be kept in check with a twice annual trim & pull.

• colleenrk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh periwinkle sounds lovely! i hope i can loosen even the top inch though. otherwise, i was thinking...moss? i'll try to get outside and take some photos when all the snow has melted.

• Charlie
    11 years ago

Ferns and hostas are your best choices.

• think_flowers
    11 years ago

I hear the Cardinal Climbing vine will do ok in shade. I have some planted in front of a trellised window, part shade/indirect sun. I'll let you know how they come out once they start sprouting. I also have some in hanging pots in the front (full sun) so that's how I'll know if they are thriving or not :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Cardinal climber needs sun.....and full, hot sun at that.

Any shade tolerant groundcover will work in your shallow beds. And you can always add a few shade loving annuals for some summer color.

• horacethecheese
    10 years ago

we had a concrete yard with a foot high layer of soil in a raised bed and we raised rocket lettuce basil spinach and chard in there. if you have about two or three foot you could try anything just buy some seeds and see how they fair seeds are fairly cheap and if nothing comes of it theres little lost. just top up whats already there with a good layer of compost and sprikle your seeds on top. wildflowers native to your area will grow almost anywhere they can find footing even out of walls and many are shade loving you could try collecting seeds from wildflowers along shaded woods that take your fancy or if your permitted taking the plants and a good chunk of soil with them and replanting beside your trees. beans will also grow in shade and climbers will creep up the trees and find light something like honeysuckle or jasmine so long as they have enough food to feed the roots while they are climbing up. you may get less of a crop of flowers or fruit from anything in shade like kale will grow much smaller but it will still grow.

• Nicki B
    6 years ago

I have yet to see my Lamium maculatum find a spot it hates. Being related to the mint family, it tends to get crazy, so if you have a lot of ground to cover, that may be your plant. Zone 5 here, part shade, north side of a house, but thriving too in my west-facing, full sun butterfly garden. Oddly, it is changing color in places. Must have cross-pollinated with a darker flowering variety. Kind of cool, I think, and provided fast erosion control perfectly, which is what I needed!

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

Nicki B, my lamium has done the same thing. This patch is mostly purple, with a bit of pink on the left side.

I planted just a little lamium years ago, and it has spread in delightful ways, often jumping 10 or 15 feet and spreading under a different fir tree. This patch came up at the edge of the lawn (and desperately needs the grass pulled out of it, but our weather has been too cold and rainy to work outside much).

• Nicki B
    6 years ago

It's the weirdest thing! The bees love this plant too

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery