Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cranesbill Geranium for dry shade?

Posted by tjsangel z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 19:49

Hi!

I'm looking for a few good plants to fill in my partially shady, dry front flower bed. Would this be a good one to add? I've read it has a big taproot that makes it very drought tolerant, and it will bloom well in partial shade. Thanks for comments!

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cranesbill Geranium for dry shade?

I'm not sure which geranium you are referring to as cranesbill is a common name sometime used for any geranium. Some need sun to bloom, some are not so drought tolerant. I think the best one for dry shade is geranium macrorrhizum (there are several varietys -- all good). This is a vigorous geranium and very tolerant of almost any conditions.

o

I think there are many species that would do. I have many kinds in a bed that gets less than four hours sun. I think most if well watered until established would tolerate dry. My bed gets no additional water.

o

The common wild geranium up here in the NE is geranium maculatum, and although it is fine in dry soil, it need a fair amount of light. It grows in the verge of the denser woods, and in open shade areas. A lovely native wildflower.

George

o

• Posted by magda Z 5b Ont Can (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 1, 06 at 8:05

It's a very good choice. Mine has taken over other plants on a raised bed under a maple tree. I am actually moving it to a very difficult spot in the front lawn- full sun, baking dry poor clay.
There are many varieties- some have nice fall colour too.

o

Thanks everyone!

I am mainly looking at G. macrorrhizum, I want something that gets big with lots of color. Once the trees leaf out it will just be a little morning sun.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here