Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!!! Need berry producing shrubs for full shade!!

Posted by kkbix z5 Indy (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 20:00

I need some help. I've decided to move several viburnums from an area of full shade to full sun. I need a few bushes that can tolerate full shade (maybe 2 or 3 hours of partial sun) and produce berries for wildlife. I may plant a few ferns and hosta but am looking specifically for types of bushes. I live in central Indiana (zone 5). Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!!! Need berry producing shrubs for full shade!!

What about Mahonia (evergreen), or Nandina?

o

Holly?

We have some that get a few hours of dappled light. Dozens of migrating cedar waxwings swarm in here for a day and take every holly berry..usually sometime in March. The hollies on the north side get no dappled or direct sun, and bear much less fruit.

We had dozens of Robins in the little Prairiefire crabapple about 10 days ago. They stripped it of all its berries. No worms to be found if the ground is frozen. It grows in part sun, part dappled light.

~Bunnycat

o

My backyard is a mature wooded area and we have several kinds of shrubs with berries all in full shade:

Cranberry
Winterberry
Nannyberry
Serviceberry
Arrowwood Viburnum
Mulberry
Alternate Leaf Dogwood
Silky Dogwood

Hope that helps some...

Barb

o

• Posted by klo1 z7 OK (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 21:26

Does Beauty Bush grow in your area? If it does they grow in the shade and have pretty purple berries.

o

thimble berry?? Fuzzy maple look-a-like leaves, little raspberry looking berries. It grows all over the park behind us and is in almost constant shade or dappled shade. Its a native here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here