Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you avoid the greedy redwood roots

Posted by nimapur z9CA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 20:30

Hello,

Someone may have the same problem as I have, and may have already found a solution...

When I plant under the redwood tree, within a year, the roots from the redwood have come in the root zone of the new plant and formed a tight network to suck up all the nutrients that I am feeding the new plant. I am thinking of creating a raised bed on top of the existing soil under the redwood, to plant my next batch of plants - will that help or not?

Look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you avoid the greedy redwood roots

Redwoods are not the only tree to do this, so the experience is not unique to people that garden with redwoods. The raised bed can help, but I'd also suggest putting some landscape fabric at the bottom of the raised area to help slow the growth of any tree roots up into the raised area.

o
RE: How do you avoid the greedy redwood roots

Thank you.

I have followed both of your suggestions. Now I am looking forward to a success :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here