Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I start trillium and elephant ears indoors now?

Posted by lisa2004 NY Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 20:32

I bought trillium in bags at Home Depot. I haven't actually opened them to see if anything looks alive or if they are just roots. I'm wondering if I should start them indoors now and plant them out in April or should I just wait until I can plant outdoors? I also bought some elephant ears and I'm wondering about those also. It's still pretty cool here until the middle or end of April. (Actually, cold some days). Thanks, Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I start trillium and elephant ears indoors now?

I think anything bareroot benefits from striking roots in soil where you can regulate the water intake and temperature. I would start them both inside in order to bring them back to life. The elephant ear likes warm soil temperatures to start rooting. Have fun with those.

o
RE: Can I start trillium and elephant ears indoors now?

For the Trilliums, go ahead and pot them and apply moisture, the sooner, the better. They will begin to emerge when their internal clock and soil temperature (normally about 55F) reqirements are met. Sometimes, they do not set blooms the first year, when they have been out of the soil for an extended period, but there should be enough stored calories in the tuber to produce foliage.
I have several hundred growing in pots and I just keep on collecting and planting seed! I wouldn't mind if my entire garden were covered with them.
Enjoy!
RB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here