Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus seedlings!

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 20:50

I'm so excited, I just have to share. I started several packs of coleus seed under lights. I think every single seed sprouted! Today I plucked most of the seedlings out of the original container and put them into individual containers, or 2 or 3 sprouts per cup. So, they have room to keep growing and I've put them under their own light so it can be within inches of the sprouts. Wish me luck and pray I don't have any damping off.

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus seedlings!

Finally seen this. Great news and I hope all are still healthy. I love coleus seedlings they really add color to the flats.

o

Sending good vibes to your babies! Coleus sprouts are so cute.

o

I'm just beginning to think about getting plants started. I've heard coleus is pretty hearty and want to try it too. Do you have any tips for a newbie?

o

Coleus seeds need heat and light (meaning not buried under the soil, not put where the sun is directly shining) to germinate. Once you're having days in the 70's, you should have good results. For such tiny seeds and seedlings, they grow pretty fast.

If you are impatient, you might want to get a 6-pack or two, of already-started little plants. They're inexpensive and readily available when stores have flats of annuals. Slightly bigger individual plants go from $2-up, depending on size.

o

Thanks for the feedback. I am a little impatient being our summers are so short up here. I also haven't much room in my small apartment for seedlings. I like your suggestion of buying some already started when the temps rise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here