Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen trees for screen

Posted by thedagda 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 22:42

Keeping in mind my property is shaded by huge oaks, I'd like to plant fast growing evergreens to block the neighbor's house. I planted Hinoki cypress in a line last year and though it's too early to tell, they look good but not as dense as I hoped. I want to continue the line this Spring and considered Canadian Hemlock. Is the Wolly Adelgid problem still a factor? The guy at the nursery said it is under control (he would say that wouldn't he?). If the Hemlocks are a no-no, any suggestions? Long Island's east end in the shade with lots of deer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen trees for screen

Woolly adelgid is still very much an issue with eastern hemlocks in much of the country, especially the east coast. Hinokis won't be very dense in a lot of shade - depending on specific cultivar, they are not necessarily dense in full sun. A very sculptural looking tree, often with wide spacing between branches. Yew is a classic shade evergreen but not fast growing. You might try Japanese aucuba (Aucuba japonica) or English laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). Both are quite shade tolerant, broadleafed evergreen shrubs and will grow more rapidly than most conifers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here