Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sun-tolerant shade plants?

Posted by emme-dc none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 23:32

I have a city garden, with walls on all sides. Various parts of the garden are in full shade, deep shade, or partial shade. But in some seasons or hours, some spots get quite a bit more sun than most shade plants like. For example, now with the trees leafless, and the sun still to the south in the afternoon, my lightest-shade bed is in full sun. What's more it gets extra reflected sun from the windows on the nearby houses. By the middle of April, this bed will get only brief licks of sun, and about half a day of dappled shade. There's another area that gets no sun at all, except in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of summer. So what can I plant? Nothing that needs sun can live in my garden, but neither do things do too well if they are sensitive to sun. Suggestions for some perennials that are nice on a small scale?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sun-tolerant shade plants?

A good number of shade loving plants will tolerate much brighter conditions in winter, typically because the sun is much lower on the horizon and a good bit weaker during this period. I'd consider hellebores for sure and any other spring woodland ephemerals you like or can locate. These tend to be plants that emerge early to take advantage of increased light levels provided by deciduous woodlands to bloom now or early in the season and then they go dormant later in the season.

FWIW, pretty much any shade tolerant evergreen shrub will be perfectly happy in a more sun exposed position in winter as long as it is out of direct wind and receives adequate moisture. It is attempting to grow these types of plants in a year-long exposed position that will get you into trouble :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: spring ephemerals

o

I think there are some hostas that will tolerate sun and there are some that will tolerate deep shade. Im not entirely sure on the subject but a look in the hosta forum may 'shed some light' on the subject :)

o

spring flowering bulbs such as crocus daffodils and tulips would do nicely and then die off as your other pernnials came up, providing a sucession of bloom from the beginning of the season and with minimal care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here