Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
North wall of house

Posted by ngnyus 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 23:36

We just moved into a cute house with a horrible yard, the house faces north, and I would like to plant a flower garden against the wall, any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: North wall of house

try michigan bulb. They have a lot of planned gardens including shade gardens. You can also click your zone. It's a great place to get ideas.

o

impatients, hostas, ferns

o

Hydrangea is a beautiful option. If you have a trellis, consider oak leaf hydrangea.
Good Luck,
Kim

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 12:24

Where are you in zone 9? I'm in coastal Northern CA and shade is definitely my friend! We grow wonderful flowers and colorful foliage all year long, but I don't want to suggest anything unless you're in a similar zone, since we're mostly frost-free.

One tip - okay, two: improve your soil, and lay soaker hoses. Most, altho not all, shade plants like moisture, and with increasing costs/restrictions on watering, planning carefully will save you and the planet considerable water. I water maybe 2x monthly, and $15/mo in the summer months waters 15 garden beds totaling over 2000 sq. ft.

I just completed a slideshow highlighting variegated plantings in shaded beds for another Net forum I belong to (I don't usually frequent this one, I'm normally on the Cottage Gardening forum). It's got 30 photos of various shade plants in mixed beds, so maybe you can find some ideas here. But remember, where I live there's only on average 7 frost days per year, no zero temps at all. Good luck as you begin your new garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket slideshow: Variegated in the Shade

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here