Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmarissa_gw

Impatiens, Begonias, Torenias

kmarissa
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have recently moved to a new apartment with a north-facing balcony (and with trees in front, no less). It's very shady - right now it gets about 2 hours of sunlight in a small area of the balcony each morning (early this spring, it literally got NO sunlight at any time). I'm hoping that as summer comes and the sun moves in the sky, the amount of sun will keep increasing, but I know it'll never be enough for even many shade-loving plants to thrive.

But, I decided to buy a whole bunch of different plants this year just to see what would grow, and what would not. I have the following plants ordered, and hopefully they'll arrive this week:

Impatiens ÂRockapulco RedÂ

Impatiens ÂRockapulco OrchidÂ

Begonia ÂOn Top® Sunset ShadesÂ

Begonia ÂOn-Top® Pink HaloÂ

Torenia ÂSummer Wave Large VioletÂ

So here's my question. When the plants arrive, I'll have to choose where they're going to go on the balcony. I could fit two, MAYBE three, in the spot of balcony that gets a bit of light, but the others will have to go in a shadier spot. I may be able to rotate the planters a bit, but I also may not be able to (some of the planters are difficult to relocate). Do any of the above flowers tolerate more shade better than the rest? If you could only pick two to plant where they'd get 2-3 hours (and the rest would get pretty much no direct sunlight), which would need it most?

Thanks for helping me with my little experiment :)

Sponsored