Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyboy_gw

Shady Shrubs

mikeyboy
15 years ago

I was planning to buy rhodas and azaleas for my garden. What are other popular pretty looking shrubs that you can easily find at local nurseries, Home Depot or Lowes?

Same question for small tree that grows well in the shade.

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Where are you? What is appropriate to suggest will depend heavily on your location and climate.

• ImaHockeyMom
    15 years ago

certain hydrangeas do well in shade

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

It's so hard to find pretty things, especially shrubs to grow in shady areas. Hydraneas do well, but not a shrub. It always says full sun- not the afternoon shady sun I have. If you find any- let me know!!!!
    I do recommend ferns, autumn fern is an evergreen.

• poodlepup
    15 years ago

Hebe & Abutilon unless you have a lot of freezing

• kbcherokee
    15 years ago

Ninebark (Physocarpus) and Mock orange (Philadelphus) are native plants that will grow in some shade. You could also look for Hydrangea quercifolia (oakleaf hydrangea) which is native also. There are many different cultivars ranging from 3 ft to 10 ft.You might need to check at a local nursery for the hydrangea.
    Rhododendron and azalea both like morning sun.

• chezmoose
    14 years ago

Japanese Kerria. I've never seen them at HD or Lowes, but many local nurseries carry them.

• bobs2
    14 years ago

I have had very good luck with Acuba japonica grown in shade. I think the variegated varieties are nice because they add some color to shady spots.

• shadara
    14 years ago

Still researching my latest find... Frosty Pearl Euonymus 'Duncata variegated vegeta' but simply THRILLED so far! It's gorgeous!

It likes shade, likes it on the dry side, and will have color year round via foliage and berries. I planted mine next to the basement breakwall hoping that it grows/climbs more "up" than "out".

Here is a link that might be useful: Frosty Pearl Thread

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!