Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I plant here to fill the space ?

Posted by Jersey_Jack Central, NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 05 at 8:00

I'd like to plant something along the fenceline (picture one) that will also thrive in the shade that comes in around noon (picture 2) and serves 2 purposes. The trees are Norway spruce, are limbed up around 15-20 feet. The area in question recieves about 3-4 Hours of morning sun but remains bright for a few more hours after

Here's what I'd Like (Aside from them being cut down)

1) Fill in the space above the fence (about 6 feet above) to create a privacy hedge/screen 2) Do this in a realtivly fast time period of 2-3 years. I'm thinking about Nellie R. Stevens Holly since it seems to be a fast grower, would reach the desired height, could be sheared as a hedge and is evergreen. Other options I've read about is using clumping bamboo such as Fargesia murieliae 'Umbrella Bamboo'. Although not as invasive as running bamboo, it seems that it would eventually get wider than i'd probably like. I'd be open to Trees (Redbud, Dogwood?) if i could get some hieght and canapy spread within a few years. I'd like to keep the width of the plant to 3 feet or so away from the fence to preserve space. Since a deciduous tree could be limbed up to the fence line, it would not apply.

I posted a similar message in the design forum, but realized it may be better here. Thanks

Picture#2

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/gal0409351932493.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture#1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I plant here to fill the space ?

I have a similar area. Fence is 4', and a row of hemlocks have been limbed up to about 15". I had originally planned to put some nice full rhodies, etc. there and grow a tall shrubby understory, but the darn squirrels have systematically broken to bits every single one I've put in the last 2 springs. Hundreds of dollars of damage and dead shrubs, since i bought the biggest ones I could afford to fill the space faster. So..the "new" plan is to put lattice panels up between the trees all along the row. Perennial plants seem safe, it's only early spring that they rip and break and destroy the shrubs. So I'm thinking some vines maybe on the trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here