Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Fence/arbor on north side of house. What can I grow there?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

I've been researching this but the various resources have conflicting sun/shade requirements on many plants! Frustrating.

I have about 15 feet of plain wire utility fencing, and a pretty wooden arbor, that separates the part of the yard where the chickens are allowed to roam, from the part they're not :)

It's on the north side of a one-story house (perpendicular to the house) so I would say most of the fence gets a few (3?) hours of sun that's dappled a bit by far away trees. otherwise it's in shade, but there's some light bouncing around from nearby light-colored buildings. We've been able to get grass to grow there, albeit not luxuriantly :)

I am planning to plant one of the shade-tolerant clematis, like Claire de Lune, on the arbor. I'd like to plant something along the 36" high wire fencing to camoflage it and to create a sense of separation. I was thinking maybe ferns and solomons seal, but would love something that keeps SOME winter interest if possible. What about Iles glauca (inkberry)... Is the shade too deep there?

Maybe these, although they're a little more wild-looking than I envisioned:

Acatea/Cimicifuga/Snake Root?

Any suggestions?

Aruncus/Goats Beard?

I'm in southern coastal Maine, zone 5, and it's a very protected location.

Comments (3)

Sponsored