Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tawny14

wanting to start a shade garden

Tawny14
18 years ago

I am wanting to fill in this spot in my yard that is under two oaks and a pine tree. So, I know my soil will be acidic and very rooty. I want colors. I know that astilbe will provide some color and I want something besdies ferns and hostas I am about hosta out. I have too many....

Open for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tawny

By the way don't want to spend to much money, husband is the only one that works and I am a full time college student so money is an issue.

Comments (11)

• homer_zn5
    18 years ago

Columbine are very easy to grow from seed. The oak should not make things too rooty, but the pine may make watering a necessity. You might also want to consider some Heuchera like 'Palace Purple' (some of the new varieties require more sun). I know you said you are hosta'd out, but there are LOTS of different types that look substantially different.

You may also consider Hydrangea 'annabelle'. If the shade is too dense, consider limbing up the trees to allow some filtered light during the day. The posibilities are endless, and snooping around the box stores may get you some good scores.

• Tom_Bombadil
    18 years ago

Rhodo, azaleas, hydrangea...some shrubs for starters.

What are you wanting to plant? Shrubs, groundcover, 3rd tier plants, etc?

• Tom_Bombadil
    18 years ago

Ah, just saw the bit about money is an issue after I posted. If you are short on cash but have time and patience you can buy things that will colonize and spread. Lilly of the valley, sweet woodruff, ginger...berry bladder fern is one of my fav 'Cystopteris Bulbifera' as it spreads by runners and can fill in nicely...forget me nots are voracious self-seeders...

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

Astilbe could be a little tricky under trees. They need a lot of moisture. But, I do have an astilbe that has been flourishing for years under trees in dry soil that I cannot reach with a hose. So give it a try if you can get a freebie in a plant trade or from a neighbor. If money is short, I don't think I'd spend it on a plant that might not survive the dryness under trees.

• lavendargrrl
    18 years ago

Hi Tawny,

I'm reading a great book right now called "Making the Most of Shade" by Larry Hodgson. It's about:

How to Plan, Plant and Grow a Fabulous Garden That Lightens Up the Shadows

So far I'm finding the book to be very helpful. Maybe you could check it out at the library first to be sure that you like it.

There are some azaleas that are supposed to bloom more than once in a season, and also at least one hydrangea that should bloom continuously throughout the summer. Both of these would do well in your conditions once you get them established.

I think you are going to find that your biggest concern is root competition. There are lots of plants that will work in your area, but you'll need to devote a lot of effort to watering them until they get established so that they can compete with the much larger roots of the trees.

The book I mentioned even has a long list of recommended shade trees that have deeper root systems, and therefore work better with plantings because the root competition is not an issue any longer. I know that won't work for your situation since your trees are already established, but it is good information for any future shade trees you are interested in planting!

Good luck.
    ~Angie in NC

Here is a link that might be useful: Making the Most of Shade

• tygerlilli
    18 years ago

Hi Tawny,

I just want to echo what Angie said in her thread. Making Most of the Shade is a wonderful, helpful book. We have this great backyard, but its very shady, lots of trees and I was leery about trying to plant things, but the Larry Hodgson book tells you everything you need to know and gives lots of tips and advise on what plants to choose and how to take care of them.

good luck with your garden--have fun!

Jill in NJ

• GeeDavey
    18 years ago

Seeds are a good start. Hellebores can be grown easily from seed I'm told. For cheap plants, try bluestone.com.

• freebird
    18 years ago

Hackonechloa macra is a beautiful golden shade grass. It is a favorite of mine. Heuchera's come in many colors. Campanuala Persicafola is a long bloomer in shade. Varigated solomon seal will also add color. Plumbago, a late summer bloomer, blooms in shade as well as sun. There are many Hardy Geraniums that will bloom in shade. I have Karmina and Biokova blooming under my Maple now. If it is dry, Astilbe won't be happy.

• susan6
    18 years ago

These pics could show more detail, since it's hard to see what each plant is. But it does show some of the differences in texture, just not as much as there really is

Here is a link that might be useful: shade gardens

• Bamateacha
    18 years ago

Susan, once again y'all are making me lust after your gardens! Beautiful, beautiful pictures. Sigh.

• margay
    18 years ago

I don't know if you have Sutherlands Lumber Company in your area or not---Here in the Kansas City Area they have already put their nursery stock on sale. I bought 2 gallon size azaleas and rhodies for $5.00 apiece. Also their Hosta are 40% off ($2.99) I was not picky about names and just bought 1 of each for a new shade bed. I got Anne, Great Expectations, Pauls Glory, Fragrant Blue, Yellow River, Wide Brim, Parkeys Gold and another one I can't remember the name of. These were gallon pots of Hosta in wonderful condition. Sales should be starting everywhere so just be patient and shop around. Good Luck!!

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA