Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low groundcover for between stepping stones??

Posted by spmimi z6 - new york (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 10:34

i love mazus reptans, but i would like to pick something native. here are my conditions, i hope you might have some suggestions!!

- northeast (new york)
- part shade (about 3-4 hours morning sun)
- average moisture

i want something that will spread between the stones but not too aggressively. bloom color doesn't matter. i prefer summer blooms but other times are fine as well as long as it keeps a nice foliage.

thanks!! (this is cross-posted from native forum)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low groundcover for between stepping stones??

Take a look at Ajuga (carpet bugle). There are several varieties and seem to do well almost anywhere.

Kathy

o

I just planted Mentha Requienii around some stepping stones - a very low growing mint that doesn't seem too invasive. Its maybe a half inch tall and has leaves even smaller than Baby's Tears. Has lavender flowers in summer. The root system is not much bigger than the plant above ground so it pulls up easily. But I like Ajuga very much - what a trouble free plant. The bronze and purple leaved varieties really set off the colors of the plants above them. Other people I know grow various thymes and they are beautiful. I also like some of the smaller sedums but they aren't going to take foot traffic.

o

I use moss. Spreads nicely and sets off stone color and texture.

o

I used astilbe little sprite..also irish moss and woods violets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here