Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Schizophragma hydrangeoides roseum

Posted by kelly922 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:38

Would like to plant in a shady area against our house...but worried about what will happen when we re-paint our house in the future. (We have aluminum siding) I have a decorative iron lattice in place - but is that enough and will it attach to the house underneath the lattice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Schizophragma hydrangeoides roseum

This climber will not attach to slick surfaces, like aluminum siding - it needs a textural surface for the rootlets to adhere to - wooden siding, tree bark, a fence. You can use the iron lattice for support but you will have to manually attach the hydrangea to it. And unless it is a BIG trellis, a happy climber will rapidly outgrow it. They get to be 40' or more!

ps. I though the whole advantage to aluminum siding was that it didn't need painting.......just wondering :-)

o
RE: Schizophragma hydrangeoides roseum

No aluminum siding doesn't have to be painted ever (key words "doesn't HAVE to"). I just wanted to. I didn't choose the siding - it was there when we bought our house 20 yrs ago and it's fine but I've gotten bored a couple times with the color since that time....so a change was fortunately possible.
Thx again for your advice gardengal!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here