Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jocea_gw

Suggestions for plating under Pine Trees

JoceA
19 years ago

Hello! Like many others on here, I am new to this site and don't have a clue about planting! I have an area in the front of my house that is under two pine trees, very shady. I would love to plant flowers or somthing there to add to the front of the house. I live in West Virginia in the Ohio Valley. Any suggestions? It's the ground and has stones around it like the previous owner had at one time attempted to plant there.

Comments (7)

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

Oooh, we have lots of pine trees here in south carolina and you tend to see azaleas planted under them.

I have Formosa azaleas (Azalea indica 'Formosa') planted around 2 enormous loblolly pines in my front yard...the azaleas are smothered in blooms right now. The Formosas get very tall and look spectacular growing under the pines and they're evergreen which means they will look good year 'round. Formosas have large, showy pink blooms.
    I don't think Formosas are cold hardy to zone 6, but there are many azalea varieties which are, and they prefer shady or filtered shade conditions such as the pine trees provide.

Pine trees suck up alot of water but azaleas don't appear to be bothered by that. I guess that's what so many people use them under pines here in sc. It's one thing you'll have to consider if you want flowers under your pines...competition for water.

If you click on the link below, you will see one of the varieties hardy in zone 6. If you do a search of that site you will find at least a half dozen that are hardy in your zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: azalea link

• sladybug2
    19 years ago

Also try impatiens- mine did great under a big old pine last year.

• TedK
    19 years ago

I am originally for the Ohio Valley also. You have better soil in the Valley than we do with our VA red clay. I would try Hosta, Ferns, Impatiens and bleeding hearts. Just remember Hosta will attract deer, so plant some boxwood to keep them way.
    Happy gardening. TedK

• madorley
    18 years ago

does anyone oppose lilies of the valley? very tough plant. Under my pines I have planted lungwart (pulmonaria), bloodroot (sanguinaria), lilies of the valley, japanese ferns,[and some bulbs which are not showing many signs of success (first season: black tulip, globe allium, wind flower anemones, scilla). I think the squirrels had themselves several nice snacks]. don't forget that impatiens and begonias cannot tolerate dryness, i find them a bit of a pain...oh, i also went with forget-me-nots (myosotis) at the edges of the shade just to experiment. I'd like to find primrose 'denticulata', and plan on hosta, coleus, and japonese anemones. I am z 5 in the mid hudson valley

• chuckiebtoo
    18 years ago

Azaleas, Azaleas, Azaleas.....then you'll have to find something for color the other 10 months of the year.

Chuckiebtoo

• glantern
    18 years ago

You also might want to consider mountain laurels and some of the more cold-hardy camellias (like the "Ice" or "Winter" series).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Hardy Camellias

• pauhaus
    18 years ago

You could also try some hardy cyclamen. They like it on the dry side. Cyclamen coum blooms in very early spring, cyclamen hederifolium blooms in early summer/fall sending up the flowers first then foliage follows in October.

Sponsored