Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy metallic shade mesh?

Posted by luis_pr z7/8 FW TX (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 12:25

I have some shade plants (azaleas, hydrangeas) that are telling me that they are getting too much sun now (hail killed several branches of a crape myrtle above). I was going to buy some type of metallic mesh that can protect them from sun while permitting water to go through. Does that type of thing exist out there? Is there a place locally that might sell this? What about mail order / Internet companies? Since I have to wait for the crape myrtle branches to grow, umbrellas suggested by some people are not going to work.

TIA, Luis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy metallic shade mesh?

• Posted by jz500 5 NW PA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 1, 07 at 10:31

Hi Luis,

I am racking my brain here! I am wondering, would window screen material work? I think maybe 2 layers would give you shade and would be easy to work with. Maybe??? I know you can buy that in large rolls at HD and Lowes.

o
RE: Where can I buy metallic shade mesh?

Go to TSC or any hardware store and ask to look at the construction cloth or some places call it hardware cloth. It comes is several gauges (bigger or smaller holes between the wire), it is very strong ie. birds can land on it and it won't bend like chicken wire and would just require bending it into a square and twisting a top on it made of the same material OR if you have more energy a small frame to staple-gun the hardware cloth to it. Strapping wood is very cheap and would do for the project you are talking about.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here