Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjlove_gw

soil problems

jjlove
18 years ago

I have recently moved here out in the country in College Station Texas......our house is new but the soil is not! Sandy and full of tiny red and black ants. We have a lot of trees but also areas where there is afternoon sun. I have no idea what to plant for color. I have planted many rose bushes but have my concerns....I am killing everything. Can you please help me? Jean

Comments (3)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

I don't know anything about your zone, but I'd suggest contacting your Agricultural Extension Office and perhaps the Master Gardening Program.

• luis_pr
    18 years ago

Try some of these plants in full sun (6 hours or more of sun): Gold Star Esperanza (yellow); New Gold Lantana (yellow); Hibiscus (Flare, Lord Baltimore, Moy Grande varieties); Belinda's Dream Rose, Knockout Rose, Mermaid Rose (gets big); Mexican Bush Sage; Verbena; Carolina Jessamine; Firebush; Rosemary (yes, the herb!).

For information on roses, visit the American Rose Society Website at www.ars.org. They have articles on planting and care (pruning, fertilizing etc).

Add 2-3" of hardwood mulch around the canopy of the above mentioned plants; water twice a week in spring (more during the summer; less during the winter).

Since most of us water too often, some people now suggest to water only when moisture is needed. That means, we have to check the moisture by inserting one finger into the soil to a depth of 2 inches. Not quite practical for some people though so either set the sprinkler or check manually. Long deep waterings are better than frequent waterings.

Good luck,
    Luis

• janetr
    18 years ago

Add organic material whenever and as much as you can: compost, aged manure, leaves, etc. And go to the soil and composting forum and read a lot.

Sandy soil lets water pass through it too quickly, which makes it very difficult for it to hold nutrients. That's why you need to add as much organic material as you can. You will never have too much. Start a compost pile and stop throwing out fruit and vegetable scraps. Keep your leaves and grass clippings. This doesn't have to cost money but you will have to keep at it. If you know a farmer, see if you can get last year's (or older) manure for free or really cheap. Some municipalities have free or cheap compost manure available.

Next, mulch, mulch, mulch. You can probably get chipped wood for free from landscaping companies. Don't turn it into the soil, lay it on top.

And it probably wouldn't hurt to add topsoil to your beds either. Some finer mineral particles can only help. Just make sure it's weed free.

Sponsored