Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming maidenhair fern

Posted by justdoitnow 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 15:07

I have a maidenhair fern with a blossom. i did not realize that they do bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming maidenhair fern

They don't. No fern has an actual bloom, but some like the cinnamon fern will send up a sterile frond that can be mistaken for a flower. But not the maidenhair. Either it isn't a maidenhair, or the flower belongs to something else that might have seeded and come up in the middle of it. Can you post a picture?

Sandy

o

Sandy,
Did you see the picture of the plant that I posted?

o

Sorry, no picture showed up. Or link to one. Where did you post it?

Sandy

o

• Posted by gamb 4b (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 23:23

Are they fiddleheads? They can come up very fuzzy sometimes.

o

It's not a maidenhair fern or any other kind of fern. It is Anemonella thalictroides or a type of woodland windflower.

The OP posted the photo in the Galleries section......hard to know anything was there to review without linking to it or at the very least, referring to it :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: link to photo of plant in question

o

Gardengal is correct. It isn't a fern at all but an anemone, which is an ephemeral spring wildflower. The leaves are similar so I can understand your mistake. A very desirable woodland flower, it can make a lovely picture on the woods floor in spring but it completely disappers shortly after blooming, to return next early spring.

Maidenhairs don't come up until late April or early May depending on where you live. They have tiny threadlike fiddleheads and wiry black stems, can get to about 2' tall.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here