Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandrakclev

Rosa Rugosa

sandrakclev
17 years ago

I've heard that rugosa rose can be grown in full shade, but does anyone know if it will flower?

Thanks,

Sandra

Comments (4)

• isabella__MA
    17 years ago

RR is a very tough plant with a will to survive. I grew some in part shade (leaning towards full shade), and they grew very stunted and without flowers. After two years of this, I transplanted them to part sun. There the RR took off with tremendous growth and flowering.

I never grew mine in full shade, but my experience would suggest that growth would be stunted at best. Understanding a plants shade tolerance and definitions of shade are critical to proper plant siting.

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

performance is not great in shade. my plants are leggy and not heavy bloomers. but search for rugosas that will be happy in shade-- there are some. but this year i planned on moving mine into a sunnier spot.
    perfume d'la hay does best in the shade for me-- but its going to a partially sunny spot--under a tree but with a southern exposure. my sisterinlaw had hansa and frau dagmar
    up against the west side of her house under a tree-- but the still got full sun after 3PM during the summer and
    mostly sun in april, may, september and october
    diggerb

• vegangirl
    17 years ago

I was just given Therese Bugnet and read that it is shade tolerant. Doesn anybody have any idea how many hours of sun a rugosa needs to flower? I can't decide where to plant Therese.

• fennelgrl
    16 years ago

I have a mystery rugosa growing in almost full shade. It flowers briefly in June, but not heavily. No repeat bloom. The canes grow to about 5 feet long each year and arch towards the sun.