Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

coleus question

novice_2009
15 years ago

I think i'm spelling it right! They are annuals grown for their foilage, great for shade gardens. My references suggest starting them indoors! I've already got other seeds started indoors, and very limited space. Have any of you ever grown them from seed in a shady garden?

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    15 years ago

Yes, that is the correct spelling. I can't answer your question but I can tell you that not 1 of the many packs of coleus seeds I've bought over the years ever produced a single plant. But I think that's just some kind of personal curse because I know people do it, or at least I know they say they do.

Also, I can't understand why people say to put them in the shade. I've had many different coleus over the years and the more sun they get, the better they grow. Some of the lighter color-shemed ones do show up well in the shade but they get leggy and faded. Most of my experience is from central Ohio, but even here in Alabama, they seem to just LOVE the sun!

There are so many coleus, I believe you could buy a different one every day for at least 4 years and never repeat. And places like Baker's Acres and Glasshouse Works introduce so many new varieties every year, you would never catch up to a repeat.

If you've bought seeds you probably are looking for a lot of plants. Well I've got great news! If you break down and buy one coleus plant that you love, you can have as many new plants as the purchased plant has stems or branches to offer. If the stems are long enough, you can get multiple plants from a single stem. You need at least 1 node (place where leaves emerge from the stem) to grow roots and 1 node to be the new 'stalk' from which new stems grow. A bigger cutting (with more nodes) will produce a larger plant more quickly, but you can go that small if you are willing to wait longer for the full effect. For fewer, bigger plants, look at the stems. You should be able to see a place where the stem goes from soft and green to brown and harder. In this area, you'll see a bunch of bumps. That is where the most explosive root growth will occur. Cut about 1/2 inch below the bumpy area. If cuttings of any size have a lot of leaves, cut all of the biggest ones off. Any cuttings that include the growth tip of the stem should have the growth tip removed to its' bottom set of leaves. You need another above-water (or soil) node below this.

Place the cut stems in little vases or glasses with water covering the bottom node. (Keep the stems in the same direction in which they were growing on the plant.) Put outside anywhere except total shade or full sun or on any east, west or south windowsill. In 10-14 days you should see a decent amount of roots. Anytime after you see roots at least an inch long, the plants are ready to go into soil. You don't want to rip off the new roots doing this, so make a hole, insert plant, then add soil slowly & gently. Voila!

Some folks will tell you they have better luck putting the cuttings directly into soil. Try both.

Before jack frost nips them in the fall, start more cuttings. They won't be terribly happy, but they'll survive in the cups until Spring. You can try bringing plants indoors, but out of all the plants I've ever dragged inside in a chilly panic, coleus are just...

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks purple! I saw some pictures of coleus, and u are right, they rock! The colors are beatiful, and I don't want a garden with only flowers,hostas, and ferns. I'm trying to mix it up with texture and color. Disappointed about the seeds, but I'll put a few out just to see. Thanks for your detailed explanation of how to get several out of one plant, as it's an annual, don't want to save money. I'll try your idea, and put them in the front of my shade garden, which does get afternoon sun. I bought a few caladiums, white christmas and carolyn wharton, a pinkish one. I transplanted them into pots to put out in different places while I wait for my other things to come along. The one in the clay pot, I plan on burying it in the garden, is doing great. The other, in a plastic pot, seems to be dying. Any tips on caladiums?

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Someone gave me some coleus seeds for wintersowing in spring. I'm going to try them soon. Basically plant in a milk jug and put outdoors.

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing forum

• nataliexoxo
    15 years ago

i started some seeds from a packet indoors. some grew much better than others. i am going to wait for it to be warmer outside and will just direct sow what i have now and sprinkle the remaining seeds around and see what happens.

i have hostas that i just picked up today from a local freecycler so i think the rainbow of colors that coleus brings will look great between the greens and whites of the hostas i have.

• merrymerry
    14 years ago

I wouldn't wintersow Coleus or start them outdoors in zone 6. Coleus won't germinate unless it is nice and warm. Your seeds might not grow until July.

I'm growing red velvet and watermelon coleus seedlings right now. They do pretty well indoors.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks guys! just don't have space indoors, tomato seedlings, and all other things. I'm goin to just sprinkle my seed packet around my shady bed, and see what happens! If it doesn't work out, only out a dollar and some cents. However, found six pack at Lowes for less than two dollars. Since it's an annual, love the color, I think I'll stick to buying in packs like this in the future.

• kbcherokee
    14 years ago

There are shade coleus and sun coleus. Very slow to grow from seed,should be started in Jan. to plant out in May.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor