Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy08_gw

Shade garden questions.

Wendy08
10 years ago

Hi, I'm new here and need some guidance for gardening in a shady location. The picture was taken last year in September about 3pm.

I've been trying to establish a perennial garden for the front side of my house. This area stays mostly in shade except for the sidewalk that will get a little sun during mid-day. I added two hydrangea bushes in 2012 on each side of the steps. The foliage grew to the 3'x3' size in 2013 and was told that they shouldn't get much bigger than that. I'm about 99% sure they are 'Forever Pink' by the nursery owner and should stay pink no matter what. The problem is, they never bloomed last year and after researching the problem, I'm pretty sure they are losing their flower buds in the cold months. I tried to ask another nursery about this and they told me to leave the plant alone and it should bloom on new wood. Now, I'm dealing with conflicting information and not sure if I should replace them since I would rather have a bloomer on new wood.

I have a quite a few hostas that do very well on this side of the house.

Under the windows between the yews, I have Encore Azaleas. One is leafing out and the other has about 5 green leaves and the rest are brown. All branches show green when scratched.

I've been trying to have a nice garden in the front with plants that will do well but also provide color. I'm thinking that some plant choices were not the best and maybe I should replace them. Or should I give it another year and see how it does? Any advice?

Comments (3)