Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants for 'Shady Sometimes'?

Posted by Yellowbell 78728 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 17:07

Hi,
I have a privacy fence and am trying to have a garden along it. The sides that I am making the garden along are east and west, so in the morning the east is shaded by the fence, and in the afternoon the west is shaded. So my question is, what kinds of plants will do well in this area? The ones that say "partial shade"? Or does partial shade kind of mean "dappled shade"? Are full sun plants totally out of the question, as well as shade loving plants like coleus and caladiums? I would appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants for 'Shady Sometimes'?

• Posted by JanetR Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 21:44

Yes, they are both partial shade. The side that gets morning sun should be able to take plants that prefer shade or partial shade. The side that gets afternoon sun should be able to take most plants that prefer sun or partial shade. Many shade lovers can handle more sun if they are kept moist. With a little trial and error, you should find out what works and what doesn't. If you have specific plants you'd like to try, ask about them and people will be able to share their specific experiences.

o

Most common definitions of 'full sun' is 'more than 6 hours of sun' without specification, morning or evening. 'Part sun' is 3 to 6 hours, 'part shade' is 1 to 3 and 'full shade' is 1 hour or less.
How I understood your description , both sides either full sun or part-sun, not a part shade, but as Janet correctly pointed out, many shade lovers could take a lot of sun with adequate moisture.

o

Thanks, both posts were very helpful. I never realized that definitions of sun, part sun, etc. included the number of hours of sunlight. That really helps me figure out what kind of plants each side can have. My neighborhood is new, and there aren't any tall trees, so the only areas of shade are along the fence.

o

I have a similar flowerbed but a little more shaded in AM and PM. Bergamonts, columbines, pansies, dianthus, spiderworts, lilies, hostas, allysum, toad lily, and 4:00 all grow very well for me.
Abbey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here