Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy screen in partial shade

Posted by anitje MA, zone 5 or 6a ??? (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 17:40

I have a 15-20' long space between my yard and my neighbor's in which I want to plant a privacy screen so that I don't have to look at the junk in his yard. The problem is the area gets a fair amount of shade.

Possibilities I am considering:

1. Pyramidal Yews. 2-3 trees. The 4' ones sell locally for about $135/tree.

2 Rhododendrons. The Roseum elegans variety have the tallest potential I have found. The 4' ones sell for about $125/plant. I figure I'd probably need aobut 3 plants.

3. Red twig or yellow twig dogwood. I have heard mixed things about how well this plant would do in partial shade. They sell locally for about $40/plant at about 4' height. I don't know how many I would need to plant...I assume they need to be planted fairly densely to provide good privacy.

I assume the twig dogwoods would be the fastest growing.

I know very little about this sort of thing, so I would like it to be relatively easy.

Please advise me as to what you think would be the best approach. If there are other plants you believe would better serve my purpose please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

anitje.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy screen in partial shade

How wide is the space?

tj

o

What about Kerria japonica? They aren't fussy plants & some cultivars will reach 10'.

o

The space is about 4-5 ft wide.

I'll look into Kerria. Thanks, tsuga.....

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 13:07

What about a fence with slats or let a climber go through the chainlink?

Kerria is slow growing for me and in a year has only grown a few feet.

Perhaps a native tree or shrub would grow faster. I'm from the west coast, so have no suggestions.

Red twig dogwood is a fast grower, but twiggy and bare in winter. Starts easily from hardwood cuttings.

Variegated elderberry is a nice accent, too.

Suggest if you create a hedge make it a mixed hedge. That way if one plant dies you can replace with anything you desire. A uniform hedge is always a lot more work to maintain and the odd spot out is a frustration. I've read a suggestion is to insert a pole with a birdhouse or leave the dead trunk and plant a climber 12" away to go up it.

Hope that helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here