Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lily of valley crowding trillium

Posted by ginatru 6 st. louis (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 05 at 18:16

What do I do? I've noticed in the 4 yrs. i've been in my house that it seems the amount of lily of the valley in is increasing while the trillium is decreasing. There's a few ferns and astilbe mixed in as well, and the lotv is becoming predominant. I've recently become interested in having more native plants and want to help increase the native trillium in particular.

How hard is lily of the valley to get rid of? Thanks!

Gina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lily of valley crowding trillium

Not hard at all...just tell your friends and neighbors you want to get rid of some...when the garden centers charge at $5 - $10 a liter they will go pretty fast.

o

FWIW, I planted my lily of the valley inside a circle of plastic barrier and it seems to be keeping it away from the trillium and other, nmore delicate plants.

o

It may take decades to get rid of all of it. We planted some 40 years ago and last year a few sprigs were still coming up.

o

I have a similar problem. I have heard of the sunken container deal being the best method for keeping them contained. In order not to distrub the native plants I cut the green shoots as them come up off at ground level. I am not sure what effect this will have. They are so aggressive Iam fearful I am just encouraging root growth.

o

• Posted by ginatru st. louis MO 6a (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 30, 05 at 10:40

Thanks, everybody. I guess I'm going to be digging today..

o

I'll pay postage for your lilly of the valley, if your interested in not sending it to the compost pile.

Email me directly if your interested.

o

I'm also interested in the lilly of the valley's if you're getting rid of a lot. I'll pay postage as well. Although I have no idea what that would cost. E-mail me if you have any left.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here