Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

keep Artemisia limelight under maple,or yank it?

Frankie_in_zone_7
18 years ago

I guess I am another one of the consumers who planted Artemisia limelight and may live to regret it. I am gradually making a planting area under the dreaded silver maple--bit of compost & shredded leaves at a time over a few years. I am (so far) successfully growing a few hostas, daylilies, spirea, and nandina, and more recently some groundcover vinca. I had some of the limelight in a pot in that bed, and (woe is me)before I knew its behavior (I thought it would be like Powis Castle) planted a little of it under the tree last year. Now, it is popping up everywhere!

So here's my question: is gardening under a silver maple likely to be so difficult in the long run that I should just let the artemisia take over and serve as a ground cover, or should I start attacking it and continue my efforts with my preferred plants? One of my problems is determining if it will just be ugly anyway. It got too tall and leggy in one container in which I tried it, so if it is going to make a huge bed of 2-foot tall limelight stuff, I don't think I want it. I had intended it as an accent against the green of other things, never realizing it would spread like this. Plus I don't know if it seeds and will get into other nearby beds.

It may be almost impossible to get out anyway, but if I'm going to do it, now would be the time to start. This is one of those questions whose answer I think I already know.... but chime in anyway!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?