Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hakkamike

Anyone Know What This Is??

hakkamike
17 years ago

It is growing around my oak tree and looks like some type of ground cover, oh by the way it is almost full shade?

http://files.tagworld.com/a506abf6df2545f8aa595d6139a44098.jpeg

http://files.tagworld.com/3c1c3cf148fe42f0bec04bedade33cbc.jpeg

Comments (6)

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Poison Ivy?

I dunno, poison ivy often looks a bit different everywhere you go but "glossy green" and "leaves of three"... makes me very suspicious. You could rub it on your arms and legs if you wanna find out for sure (JUST KIDDING! DON'T.)

It's not vinca that we have here in southern Ontario, not poison oak and not virgina creeper so I don't know what else it could be. Did you see what colour it was when it first emerged? Poison Ivy emerges red, a good way to ID it early when it first emerges from the ground.

Good luck ID'ing it. I hope it's not poison ivy but just in case, please don't touch it or let children or pets near it.

If it does turn out to be poison ivy, don't pull it up even with gloves on. The juices from the vine/leaves can aerosolize and give you an all over rash/blisters as well as infect your eyes, nasal passages and even lungs. You can try to kill it with roundup full strength but the best and most successful way to remove it is to dig it up carefully and gently, bag it and leave the bag in the sun to destroy it (turns to mush) and then dispose of it with your regular trash. Never burn poison ivy as the burning releases aerosolized droplets and you again can be infected all over your skin, eyes and lungs. After you've done the deed, put all your clothes in the washer immediately and jump in the shower with lots of soap. Soap will remove any of the oils that may have gotten on you when digging up the plant OR when removing your clothing.

Good luck with your ID. Hope it's not poison ivy.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• ImaHockeyMom
    17 years ago

Nope, it's not PI. Don't know what it is, but I know it's not that. I fight PI every year and am very familiar with what it looks like.

I had to pay a guy to tear out a mature lilac bush last year.... the PI had a TRUNK that had wound itself completely around the poor lilac. The PI's trunk had a 4" diameter in some places!!!! Nasty, nasty stuff!

• giboosi_alttara
    17 years ago

I would guess tree seedlings.

• vbain
    17 years ago

NOT pi!

• kiwibug
    17 years ago

Poison Oak? Saw it in Saskatchewan years ago and looks similar

• medontdo
    16 years ago

it reminds me of a vine that has a fragrant flower, does it have any buds or anything?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus