Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, summer blooming, shade plants

Posted by mandosca New Hampshire (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 20:46

Hello all and thank you in advance for your help. I am very new to gardening and need lots of help!! Lol. I am hoping to put in a new flower bed between my house and my pool fence. The area gets little to no sun. I know I am probably asking for alot, but I'm hoping to find tall, fast growing flowering plants that will do well in the shade. They need to be tall enough to see over my pool fence so at least 3 or 4 feet, plus summer blooming is a bonus since that is when we are in the pool most often. I prefer large blooms, but again, I realize I am asking for a lot, so I will take suggestions for anything with color! Thanks again!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, summer blooming, shade plants

You might try some decorative plant stands if you want them to get tall. Certain types of coleus get about four feet tall with long arching flowers but, that's with a little bit of sun. Impatiens are a good ( spectacular ) choice for free flowering shade plants. Pulmonaria/lungwort, torennia, browallia are all great choices. I'll put in a helpful link for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade loving flowers. Both, tall and stout.

o

Good sugestion about putting in plant stands! Shrubs might be out of the question? might puncture underneath side maybe? How about goats beard? that could hit the 3-4' mark.

o

Planting one or two tall growing shade trees into your landscape can help to cool the house reducing energy costs and also creates a beautiful place to sit and relax.
Blue Corydalis is a slow growing, evergreen perennial that will eventually form a dense 18" clump of elegant, 12" tall, lace-like green foliage.

o

All I can think of that is tall is foxglove and hydrangeas. Both do well in shade and add some color. If you plant both, the foxglove will be done by the time the hydrangeas bloom.
Remember that the foxglove blooms every second year so you want to plant a mature (ready to bloom) crop every year for two years so you have bloom every year.

o

I would try a shrub like a hydrangea, deutzia, neillia, or viburnum. Unfortunately, I think the list of tall, flowering, shade plants is going to be quite short.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here