Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryjanej_gw

suggestions needed

maryjanej
17 years ago

Hi

Could you please give me some suggestions as to make the front of the house and bed look better. This is in an area with lots of shade ferns do very well in this area there's only a bit of sun in the late afternoon as you can see it's on the north side.

Any recommendations about shrubs or plants that would look good and how would you place them.

I want to widen the bed size up to the side of the addition and the lenght of the house.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I'm in zone 5 Canadian Zone 4 US

I've included a picture

Thanks

Mary-Jane

{{gwi:252115}}

Comments (7)

• ImaHockeyMom
    17 years ago

Things that have done well for me in almost total shade are:

Plants:
    Hardy geranium (cranesbill)
    Hostas - all kinds
    Impatiens
    Torenia

Shrub:
    Hydrangea

• janet_grower
    17 years ago

Azalea, Coleus, Astilbe, Heuchera, Tiarella, Yew for evergreen. Here's what I would do for some "bones", you need to take away from the blank wall by adding some verticle elements. I would put a Caragana arborescens Siberian Peashrub between the wall and the door to the left on the picture, it has nice architechtural value when pruned up to expose the twisting branching habit. You will want to make sure you leave enough room from each wall and the path for mature growth. You will be able to plant behind it and all around it (except for a few feet)and you will see through the branching. You have another wall that draws alot of attention and needs some garden structure to lead the eye. In keeping with the soft foliage of the Peashrub I would suggest a nice Willow Bush Salix sp. Tricolor, spectacular and you'll get some height with this 6-8'. Other shade shrubs are Nanking Cherry Prunus tomentosa, Highbush Cranberry Viburnum opulus, Vibernus triloba, Physocarpus sp. "Diablo" has dk. Purple foliage. I hope you enjoy changing your garden around it will look fabulous. Janet

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I do have some impatiens and Hardy geranium (cranesbill) seeds started and already have a few hostas planted in other areas that I could put in.
    I will look up the shrubs that were mention.
    Thanks
    mary-Jane

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

kerria japonica is a shrub that blooms in full dry shade
    but will be happy in a sunny moist spot as well. some hardy azaleas. foxgloves? spring and summer bulbs? joe pie weed, monkshoods and japanese anemones for the fall. hydrangia?
    diggerb

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks diggerb
    For all the suggestions. I will check them out.
    Thanks
    Mary-jane

• zuni
    16 years ago

Hi, Just saw your posting. You might want a japanese yew as an anchor plant, perhaps near your downspout. It is evergreen, tollerates shade very well, and comes in all sorts of shapes (pyramidal might work well.) It provides a very nice contrast to flowering perennials.

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks zuni,
    For the japanese yew suggestion.
    I will look it up.
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane

Sponsored