Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to astilbes - best varieties?

Posted by lemby z7, Wash DC (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 04 at 2:24

Hi, I'm new to trying out astilbes in a morning sun, afternoon shade situation and I'm wondering if any of you have had particular success with certain types of astilbes that seem to just thrive! thanks!!!! they all look so pretty in the catalog, but which ones really work?? : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to astilbes - best varieties?

I've had very good success with 'Washington' (white) and 'Sprite' (soft pink). In partial shade, they've been my strongest bloomers.

o

Bridal Veil has always done well for me. No upkeep to speak of - no problems.

o

• Posted by lemby z7, Wash DC (My Page) on
    Tue, May 25, 04 at 0:57

thanks so much for your recommendations! i'm checking them out at bluestone! thanks.

o

I'm growing Visions this year and it's great so far - very unique raspberry color.....

o

I've grown 'Rheinland' in just about the same conditions you describe; except mine is under the deep shade of a huge maple tree. The maple sucks up the moisture and the soil by the end of each season. The 'Rheinland' is doing wonderfully. Last fall, I divided a 3-year clump. This year even the tiniest division, about 3" tall is sending up buds. It has fluffy pink flowers.

o

Do astilbes bloom all summer long? I would love to try them too.

o

They do not bloom long at all; however, the foliage is so pretty that they are still a wonderful backdrop for other plants.

o

The color of the bloom fades, while the flower dries and adds texture. I leave my flowers there all summer, fall, and winter. There they are, just under the picture window, behind the Rudbeckia and the evergreen. They bloomed in June, and are brown, but still interesting in September.

Here is a link that might be useful: My astilbe

o

Do you cut back the foliage in the fall?

o

'Purple Candles' is a stand out. Blooms along with Purple coneflower for a great combination. Here is a copy-and-paste link to a photo that will convince you(if you like purple, that is!):

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://yucca.standardout.com/pics/tyke_1066084600_311.jpg&imgrefurl=http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/28775.html&h=1515&w=703&sz=258&tbnid=8m5nibgK4D4J:&tbnh=148&tbnw=69&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpurple%2Bcandles%2Bastilbe%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here