Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
layneev

How much is too much sun for shade lovers

layneev
16 years ago

This is probably the most basic and boring question for the expert gardeners here, so I apologize in advance but would appreciate any guidance. I've cleared and am about to plant some new beds under and around an old maple tree, and I've planned mainly epimedium, hellebores, geranium macrorhizum, asarum, tiarella, sarcococca (need a spell check) and towards the edges fothergilla and skimmia. Hmmm...I'm getting a little daunted as I write this, sounds like a lot, but anyway.. The area is very shady when the maple and the other trees leaf out, but now as I'm getting ready to plant I notice that there seems to be an awful lot of sun in the bed right now, and has been all winter, of course. It's pretty dappled even now, with the shadows of branches, etc., but still, do the shade plants adapt to this? This must be a basic situation in shade gardening, do you think the plants I've mentioned will be all right here, all other things being equal? Other areas in the property seem to be more definitely either sun or shade. Thanks for any guidance. It's sure beautiful here in Connecticut right now, after the deluge!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert