Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geedavey

favorite pulmonaria

GeeDavey
18 years ago

I've got a somewhat dry, somewhat shaded area that takes hosta, azalea and dwarf plumbago nicely. I'd like to fill in with soem hakonechloa, ferns and maybe lungwort.

Two questions. What is your favorite lungwort for foliage. And, do they get ratty looking?

Comments (9)

• anitamo
    18 years ago

I only just started with lungwort this year. I ordered 3 from Bluestone, the "Mrs. Moon" variety. I especially love the 2 toned flower colors, pink and purple (not that mine have flowered yet, I'm referring to photos I've seen.) I know to give it lots of water. As a side note, since you didn't ask, but the Hakone grass is one of my favorite. You'll love it.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

I have Pulmonaria 'Northern Lights' which I got from Klehm Nurseries in Wisconsin last year. It looked great and it did grow a lot the 1st season in the ground. By mid summer I noticed the slugs must have gotten to the leaves as they did look ragged. Some slug bait slowed this from happening. Note to self for next year: apply the slug bait more diligently to the area.

• covella
    18 years ago

Hands down, my favorite is called 'Reginald Kaye'. It has very heavily mottled silver and green leaves - and the leaves are much larger than many other varieties. I have huge spreads of older un-known pulmonaria varieties, Mrs. Moon and some others. Reginald Kaye has even stayed evergreen for me in an area that had a constant seep of water. I have had virtually no problem with slugs - probably because the leaves are a bit hairy. The flowers are blue and pink as most other pulmonarias.

The other one that will knock your socks off is just called Rubrum and blooms a nice dark pink, without the color change of pink and blue. It does not have the leaf variegation of Reginald Kaye though. Mrs. Moon is nice but having had R. Kaye first... the foliage doesn't compare.

• ego45
    18 years ago

You didn't say in what zone you are, but in general pulmonarias don't like to be in a dry shade, especially down south.
    Anyway, my favorite is 'Trevi Fountain'.
    Large cobalt-blue flowers fading to pinkish-purple at the end of the bloom time. Flower stalks are 18-20"+ tall, leaves are large, heavy spotted and almost evergreen here in warmer end of z6.

• lynnt
    18 years ago

"Benediction", hands down. The most brilliant blue flowers you've ever seen in a lungwort.

If you trim the raggedy leaves off at the base when the blossoms fade, your lungworts will usually put out a flush of fresh leaves. Like cutting the old leaves off hellebores.

LynnT

• green_frog
    18 years ago

trevi fountain gets my vote - just picked it up today. i don't know very much about their soil preferences except that they like it moist, i think. is it a good idea then to put them in around ligularias, dentatas and stenos? how do they do under trees? thanks! :)

• rteets
    18 years ago

I'm with LynnT on this one. 'Benediction' is stunning. Absolutely one of my favorite shade plants - period. The leaves are a rich green with small white spots - not wildly dramatic like some can be - but lovely - and the blue flowers!!! Wow...

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    13 years ago

Bethlehem Sage (P. saccharata) has been a great performer. It does well in shade, even under red maples, never looks ratty, not bothered by slugs and seeds in quite freely but is not invasive. Under severe drought conditions it does wilt but perks up after watering.
    I also have a few Betram Anderson (P. longifolia)that have not "thrived", however they look okay but have not changed in size since purchased in 1991.

• mistascott
    13 years ago

I have two Roy Davidsons. They are a hybrid of saccharata and longifolia. They have silver speckled leaves and pink blooms that turn sky blue as they age. I love them.

I was equally impressed with the Mrs. Moon variety I saw on display. It just came down to personal preference.

Sponsored