Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estheramgr

backdrop for hostas?

estheramgr
18 years ago

I recently planted some hostas next to a stream (really a drainage ditch, but hey, I can dream...), and I want some sort of vertically growing plant to put behind the hostas. Area is partial to full shade and moist. (Ferns and hostas are doing well there. )Something with some color contrast would be nice as well, maybe a reddish or a purplish hue to stand out against the summer green ferns and hostas.

Any ideas for vertical lines and color contrast?

Comments (11)

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

verigated solomon's seal, astilbe, hydrangia, aurgia (sp?) it gets 4-5 feet red stems white flowers. Autumn fern is red.

• BabyHelpful
    18 years ago

Black cohosh (Cimicfuga) is a beautiful architectural perrenial 4-6 ft (sometimes taller). It blooms tall white-spired flowers. There are marroon-leaved cultivars available, but they revert to green unless they get come sun.

• von1
    18 years ago

HOW ABOUT ENSATA IRIS OR LIGULARIA

• linrose
    18 years ago

What about lobelia? L. splendens 'Queen Victoria' has maroon foliage and bright red flowers. It is hardy in zone 7-9 but I have sucessfully grown in here in zone 6. It should be perfect for your zone 8 in Georgia. It doesn't like dry soils at all, you need to water in times of drought or at least make sure it has a high organic matter water retaining soil. I second Cimicifuga racemosa. Try the variety 'Brunette' for that deep purple leaf color. It really isn't a warm climate plant - zone 8 is probably its most southern range - but planted in full shade with plenty of moisture it should do well, and what a stunner!

• estheramgr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

von1, What's ensata iris? I've never met an iris I didn't like...
    Will it grow well in full shade?

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Oranges, rusts and reds always look great when used as a backdrop on Hostas. So ya, lobelia cardinalis(red) would be striking as would butterfly weed (orange) or lillies (orange to dark red/orange). Sneezeweed is another orange/red tall perennial flower that would contrast nicely and attract birds and butterflies.

False Indigo which has a tall spike with rich purple/blue flowers along the spike would also be striking but in a "Softer" way.

Tickseed (bright golden-yellow) is tall (2-3 feet) and would contrast nicely against your hosta and ferns and attract butterflies.

Let us know what you decide on and show us a photo :o)

Barb
    Ontario, CANADA

• estheramgr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So i went to the garden nursery today to look at some of the plants that have been recommended, and just about had a heart attack at how expensive pretty plants for shade are. So upsetting. I think I'm going to have to find other generous gardeners willing to share in my neighborhood.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Sew seeds instead. I'm not a flower person so I don't know when the best time is to strew seeds about but I know seeds cost very little and you can pick the types of flowers you want and make large patches of your favourites. Rough up the soil so that birds are less likely to find and feast on the seeds. It's a slower route to go but much less costly for sure.

Barb

• susan6
    18 years ago

Boy, I hear you about the price of the plants. I have spent as much on some of the purple and dark leaved plants such as Ligularia and Rogersia as I did on shrubs. How about some hydrangeas? Cheap at the big box stores. Also Elephant ears are way cheap if you buy the tubers at the box stores and they, too, like moisture and deep shade. Tall astilbes are a bargain because after a year or two they need dividing and you can really fill up some space with them. Nice contrast in leaf form to the hostas.

• paste592
    18 years ago

I just bought an aucuba, which I would highly recommend for your situation, on sale for only $7.99 (I paid 3 times that for the first aucuba) at a chain nursery in our area. Most places will have shrubs on sale later in the summer, and with your moist spot, late summer should be an okay time toplant them

I also like the giant dicentras with hosta -- two of mine are close to 3' tall already -- even the one I paid $2.79 for in May!

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Hi,

I bought some seed from NEWildflower Society in March, and though it was late, I put it in the fridge for a few weeks and then planted it. I was going by the information in the winter sowing forum. Really didn't think I was going to get any seeds sprouting, but lo and behold, Two of the seed varieties I planted sprouted and I now have 7 seedlings of Thalictrum and about 15 seedlings of viola labradorica.

The winter sowing techniques were so simple and still amaze me every time I look at the seedlings that are a result of so little effort and care. One seed didn't sprout, the geranium m. which was supposed to be the easiest one..lol. Well, I am not complaining. The three seed packets cost me $4. a piece and it was well worth it.

Adam