Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geedavey

Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?

GeeDavey
18 years ago

I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch, but the rocket is underwhelming.

It's still quite small in it's second year after purchase from bluestone. It seems to like sun and moisture, which are hard to supply.

In your opinion, are they worth it? Or should I dig up and discard? I'm willing to make another effort to get them a bit more sun/water. Dentata seems so much better with even less sun and moisture.

Comments (9)

• maine_gardener
    18 years ago

It took 4 years for mine to really show what it could do. Coddle it and wait it should be fine.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

Why are you thinking The Rocket likes sun? I find it really sun sensitive even here in the cool PNW, where it will completely wilt in early afternoon sun no matter how much water it receives...

• GeeDavey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wilt it may, but it also doesn't seem to flower much unless it gets some sun here. The plant is difficult to place.

I moved it from deep shade to dappled shade. I dug the hole deep and wide and used water storing polymers.

I'll check back in a few years and let you know. Thanks.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

I have one in full sun and one in partial shade. The one in full sun is doing very well. They don't seem to like rich soil, so I was suprised how well the one in sun is doing since it's in crappy dirt. Could be the soil is too much for it.

Gloria

• jugglerguy
    18 years ago

I bought mine last year in a fairly big pot, probably 1 gallon. It was pretty nice last year, but it's bigger and really healthy looking this year. It's in good soil on the North side of my house. It gets almost no direct sun because it's shaded by the house. I guess I'd call it "bright shade".

Rob

• desperationfalls
    18 years ago

OK-here's the scoop.
    A friend had another friend who had a piece 2 foot x 2 foot of pond liner leftover from some water garden task.

He dug down 18 inches (setting the Rocket to one side)
    and installed the pond liner with a bit of a dip in the middle-otherwise flat and then re-entered the soil on
    top and replanted the Rocket in that section.

So, the pondliner kept that part of the bed constantly
    moist and his Ligularia grew to 3 feet across and amazingly
    lush and beautiful. Attributes it all to the liner.

• pauline13
    16 years ago

I ordered this plant recently and am concerned about its height. Regarding this plant, when a description says it will get 4-6 feet high, does that mean bloom height or height of the plant without blooms?

• florrie2
    16 years ago

Hey, GeeDavey: If you do decide to toss it, let me know and I'll come over and pick it up! I need something that the DEER don't eat!

Florrie

• sunrisedigger
    9 years ago

I'm intrigued by Desp Falls idea of a liner bottom to retain the moisture to satisfy the rayflower I know. This one is a little precise about what it wants.
    I do remember trying the Rocket on an north east fence tucked in behind in corner shaded and moist and really the foliage was great. But flowering? Not so much.
    So I'll dig down 18 inches and form a bottom with thick poly plastic almost like a container without drain holes this time relocated with some morning sun