Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtmoney_gw

'Mrs. Moon' Lungwort question

jtmoney
14 years ago

Hi,

I was at a hardware store today where they had some of the above plants out (in full sun I might add :( ) and I was wondering about them.

I wanted to plant a couple amongst August Moon Hostas and Palace Purple coral bells. All of these plants are under a Redmond Linden which allows approx. zero sunlight in.

According to the tag it is a 'moderate' grower that spreads to about 20 inches, but stays in a mounded form (like hostas). But online, it appears that it may be a spreading ground cover. Which is correct? Do you all like this cultivar? I also really liked the Victorian Brooch variety, but it wanted partial sun and I don't know if my site qualifies...

How does this stuff grow, anyhow?

Comments (7)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I have many varieties of lungwort and never had a problem with them spreading and becoming invasive. They do not have rhizomes. They stay in a clump, and the clump slowly gets bigger over the years.

Mrs Moon seems to be the fastest growing and I have divided it many times to spread it around. The others are much slower growing and have never been divided. I have no experience with Victorian Brooch.

In my area lungwort cannot take direct summer sun. I tried. They do best under my weeping deciduous trees where they can be seeing flowering in the early spring, and then are protected from the harsh sunlight when the trees leaf out, which is just around the same time that the lungwort stops flowering. I do have a few mixed in with hosta on the north side of my house and they do fine without much sun.

• jtmoney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dilly_Dally! Do yours reseed at all? Or are pulmonaria sterile?

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

Mrs. Moon likes shade and moist soil. Yes, she does re-seed.
    I find her 'children' all over the yard. I think you may be seeing photos of the lung wort in bloom and in early spring when it blooms it can have the appearance of a creeper. But after the blooms fade and the real leaves come out, then it takes on the mounding appearance of a hosta.
    Pam

• chezmoose
    14 years ago

I have several different varieties of pulmonaria and I love them all. Some are in heavy shade under maples and some are in fairly sunny locations and they all seem to do well. Mine do re-seed also but not invasively. I like finding little baby plant here and there!

• linnfromia
    14 years ago

I'd love to see little seedlings (I have Mrs. Moon and Majeste), but it hasn't happened yet. I could put some new clumps to good use! My clumps just get bigger and bigger. They do well in both moist and dry (oak) shade.
    I like to cut off the flowering scapes when the flowers are pretty much over (late May/early June in z4). It keeps the foliage from looking tatty. When a plant was new, this meant awfully few leaves were left when I was done pruning (ulp!), but it fills out nicely over the summer.

• jrunft_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Hello,
    I have lungwort in a shady region of my backyard. However, i wanted to plant impatients in that area instead. Is it bad for the plants to be moved this late in the summer or is it okay for me to move them somewhere else in the yard?

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Perhaps, you've already moved them & figured out as long as you keep them moist they should re-establish themselves even in summer.

Another idea is to plant impatiens in post & move them to where you want the color spots to the side of lungwort.

Sponsored