Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Bugbane/Black Snakeroot - Cimicifuga 'Chocoholic'

Posted by tuliper 7a/7b (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 14:33

I've just gotten my hands on a Chocoholic Bugbane, and am reading differing stuff online. Some say this variety can take a good bit of sun? I'm going to plant it this wknd in my mom's shade garden - which only receives less than 4 hrs of the earliest morning sun, then full shade the rest of the day. My questions are; A: Will it reach it's full potential in mostly shade color wise? (I love how lush the darkest purple it's already displaying looks.) B: It'll be by Ferns & Astilbe so I'll be attentive of watering needs but it is Southern Md and I'm worried of establishing it over the summer. So is it really as finicky as what I'm reading? One article said no variety of Cimicifuga has ever grown well for him besides Chocoholic and even that had never bloomed! I will be amending the soil with a big bag of loam. Please someone with experience on this plant help me! I'll have it planted at my mother's business front and it must look perfect! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Bugbane/Black Snakeroot - Cimicifuga 'Chocoholic'

I know it has been awhile since you asked, but Bugbane really thrives in shade (even full shade). It sounds like the four hours of early morning sun would be perfect. The most important thing is consistently moist soil, though. If it dries out, the leaves will brown and curl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here