Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voles, perma-til question to Dieter2NC

Posted by robin11034 7b Charlotte (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 15:46

Hi Dieter2NC! I'm slowly making my way through the "Gardening in the Shade" archives. I have seen posts by you, Sugarhill and a few others. It's like running into old mentors unexpectedly.

Now my question. I keep reading posts where people complain of voles. I was not going to vex and agonize over them as it didn't seem that there was much that could be done. Until I read your post about your experience (see your quote above) that is. This perma-til stuff you add to the soil ... exactly what is it? Is that the brand name (as in Kleenex) or is it what it is actually is (as in a tissue). Do you just plant your plants right in that (seems like not from your sentence) or is there some ratio to dirt that you mix i.e. 2 parts dirt, 1 part perma-til.

These reason I ask is I am right in the middle of planting some plants in the shadiest part of my bed and I figured if I can add something to deter these miserable little critters then why not just do it. Thanks!

Robin in Charlotte

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voles, perma-til question to Dieter2NC

it's a brand name. It's good in any small proportion all over, but I'd mix it 1 part to 2 or 3 when putting in a new vole-goodie like a hosts.

o

It is a good product but it was explained to me that the hole is dug and about 2 to 3 inches of Permatil is placed in the bottom. Then 2 to 3 inches is placed around the sides of the plant and then some on top. If it is done this way it can be very expensive. I have tried mixing it with the soil but have had to go back and rescue the hosta.

I finally just dig a hole, line it with wire, insert plant, place Permatil on top and pray. Voles should be the North Carolina State Pest.

o

Sorry it took so long to answer. It is an actual name of a small sharp gravel, I buy mine at Colchester Place on Park Rd next to the Black Lion. I put about a half inch on the bottom of the hole, set the plant in and mix a generous amount of permatil in with the soil I put around the plant. Then I put a layer of permatil around the top of the plant and cover with mulch. The voles do not like to dig through the sharp rock and this will protect both the roots and the crown. It cost about $10 per bag (the bag is about the same size as a typical bag of store bought compost.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here