Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennials To Go Under a Redmond Linden

Posted by jtmoney 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 17:17

Hi,

In my front yard, I have a fairly mature Redmond Linden that casts a dense shadow. There is no grass that is hardy enough to grow underneath it. I'd like some ideas for perennials that would grow well together as well as amongst the mature roots of the tree.
Right now I have three August Moon hostas that need to be divided, so I was going to do that and transplant them under the Linden. The chartreuse foliage should stand out well under the dark canopy, and they bloom in late summer/early fall. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I've looked at astilbe, but they seem to need consistently moist soil to thrive. I believe heuchera likes part sun to sun to do well.
I definitely want something that will start off small (ie-purchase in a container less than 1 gallon), to avoid tearing up the tree roots. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennials To Go Under a Redmond Linden

Look into Epimediums, they might be a good choice. How about some ferns? It sounds too shady for heuchera, you're right.

o
RE: Perennials To Go Under a Redmond Linden

I have a Linden tree in my front yard and here is what I have planted under it:

Hosta
Astilbe
Sweet woodruff
Epimedium
Pulminaria
Lily of the valley
Hellebore
Solemon Seal
Crocus
Daffodil
Primrose
Labrador violet
Common violet
Fumewort

My Linden has been limbed up so it has a high canopy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here