Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchie_gw

darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara

mulchie
13 years ago

I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four darmera and three astilboides) and three areas to choose from.

1) Pretty heavy shade, highly amended soil on a rise within easy reach of the hose

2) corner of a shade area, highly amended soil, no competing roots

3) bog-like highly shaded area mostly populated with poison ivy ( I KNOW!) and cinnamon ferns.

I would really like some big leaved plants in area 1 and I put the three astilboides up there. But I'm reading about a lot of moisture requirements. I'm thinking of the three darmera in the shade garden and one out in the bog just for fun. I am working on getting the poison ivy out of there and I'm opening up some of the area which was all overgrown and crowded. I never used to like shade gardening... but it's kind of addictive.

I would really like anybody's thoughts since these were expensive and I don't want to mess up.

BIG LAST question... if I got runty little bare root from White Flower Farm how long will it take those astilboides to get lush and big. I wrote White Flower. Quite distressed about the quality of those plants, but I had a gift certificate.

Thanks.....

Comments (2)

Sponsored