Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara

Posted by mulchie 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 17:41

I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four darmera and three astilboides) and three areas to choose from.

1) Pretty heavy shade, highly amended soil on a rise within easy reach of the hose

2) corner of a shade area, highly amended soil, no competing roots

3) bog-like highly shaded area mostly populated with poison ivy ( I KNOW!) and cinnamon ferns.

I would really like some big leaved plants in area 1 and I put the three astilboides up there. But I'm reading about a lot of moisture requirements. I'm thinking of the three darmera in the shade garden and one out in the bog just for fun. I am working on getting the poison ivy out of there and I'm opening up some of the area which was all overgrown and crowded. I never used to like shade gardening... but it's kind of addictive.
I would really like anybody's thoughts since these were expensive and I don't want to mess up.
BIG LAST question... if I got runty little bare root from White Flower Farm how long will it take those astilboides to get lush and big. I wrote White Flower. Quite distressed about the quality of those plants, but I had a gift certificate.
Thanks.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara

I have never had any problem with anything from White Flower Farm,How ever got an order from a catalog House Of (Something)and not one item was totally no good,mold,dried up you name it.Bareroot can be deceptive,I bet you plant will do well after twenty years never been let down by WFF.
Peter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here