Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! Evergreen screen in shade?

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 18:14

So first my neighbor put a giant shed along the fence line and now he has built a giant ugly compost bin! I would like to plant some low shrubs, 5 to 7 ft tall, that will screen their yard but the area is under trees so it doesn't get any direct sun except for winter. There is some filtered sun and the ground is very moist due to rainwater runoff. So can you help me find something that will grow nicely there? So far I have some mountain laurel and aucuba but I'd like something faster growing. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! Evergreen screen in shade?

Moist soil will limit your options for most types of evergreen shrubs or small trees.
Is the water runoff from your property? Or your so-called neighbor's?
First thing I would do, is call the Zoning office in the county/city, to determine if the shed & compost bin is in compliance with local building codes/ordinances.
Depending upon the size of the building lot, there is usually a buffer required between any structure and the property line. In my county it is 10 ft. To build any closer to the property line, a side-yard variance must be obtained, that requires posting signs announcing a hearing date before the zoning commission. If approved by them. it then has to be heard and voted upon in a public meeting of the County Commissioners. If approved by them, then you must apply for and receive approval of a building permit. The permit must be posted in a location visible from the street/road, before any construction begins. At any time during these proceedings, neighbors have the right/opportunity to challenge/object to the variance.
Did your neighbor do all of those things? I assume he didn't bother or else you wouldn't be trying to shield the ugliness.
Call your Code enforcement office and have it checked. If in violation, insist that they be removed. Settle for no less!
I wouldn't be concerned about their feelings, as they obviously have no concern for yours!

o
RE: Help!! Evergreen screen in shade?

Hope I'm not to late to add my thoughts here. Evergreens, with the exception of yew and hemlock don't fare well in shade. We have all-year-round semi-evergreen screening in a shady area with leatherleaf viburnums which form an attractive and dense screens with bonus of blossoms in early summer. I'm not sure about the moisture tolerance of leatherleafs but I do know many viburnums are.
Good luck. I have the same problem...needing to screen off neighbors unsightly "landscaping and building projects" just to the side of our driveway. Argh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here